Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Billie Studies 1, 2 & 3

Quick Study #1 - 4 x 7

Study # 2 - 8 x 10

Study # 3 - 10 x 7

These are works in pastel. I wanted to do loose figures with loose strokes like everyone always talks about with oils. It was fun and a good learning experience. I like the results, of course the real practice that I really didn't care about, # 1, is the one I like best. No pressure, always works! Can you tell she is on rocks? Tell me what you think!!
As always, I will mat and frame pastels for sales.

7 comments:

  1. I agree, #1 is the best. IT's much more free, relaxed and expressive. Yes, I can tell she's on rocks and I love the blue in the shadow. A perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I could tell she was on the rocks! I hate to be the dissenter but I like #3 best, it is a very solid and balanced stance...ce'st la vie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They totally look like rocks! Actually the rocks are awesome in 2 but the figure looks depressed. Who could be depressed at the ocean? She should stop walking and sit on those beautiful rocks enjoying the crashing waves and her spirits would be lifted!

    Sorry, couldn't help myself. Its just that your pastel told a story...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific, Mary Ann! Absolutely, rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like #2 the best - I think it looks quite loose. The other two are good, but I like the color and composition of #2. I didn't read her stance as depressed but looking for stones. I used to live in Petoskey, MI and people visit from all over and hunt for stones along the shore line (which is very rocky in places).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like them all, but the 2nd is my favorite. I'm not sure if I'd not looked at them altogether first if the first would have read as rocks and the blue as water, but they do now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These figure studies are beautiful! The figure is solidly on the rocks, I can feel the pressure of her feet, I love the blocked in color, the movement, the figure's pensive stance. Just lovely and a great exercise.

    ReplyDelete